Sunday 29 October 2017

Doing the last two days of Essen! Updated

Saturday was so busy (and fatigue had set in!) so we demo'ed a few games and left Ant to it to so he could play some deep euros. After in the evening we broke out loot island and queen domino. 
First up jack and the bean stalk


It is a very tactile game



Sunday saw us (literally) racing to get a demo for bunny kingdom (something we had been attempting all Spiel).
Then we tried out a goblin skirmish game (name escapes me!) where all the characters are based on pop culture/movie characters. Good sculpts and silly fun but not a miniatures game I could commit the time needed to make it worth the investment 

Then we took a look at Stone Age junior. Quick and silly fun for young gamers, so we enjoyed it.
Then we finished the Spiel with a demo of a game coming to Kickstarter soon, Kracken Attackin (I think), where we played Kracjen trying to defeat pirates to steal their treasure. Lots of screwing over other players so you can imagine just how much we pushed the rules to their limits. I may back it if it is cheap enough as looks great and could be fun if I take it a little less seriously.
All in all it was a great trip, exhausting and stressing at times but that was why we took a break for Saturday afternoon. We saw so many games that you would just never hear about and hot to see loads of the Internet celebs, which is always a little bit of fun. Going to get on with booking next year just as soon as I check the dates for work!!!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the write ups, Dave, looks like another fun time.
    What were your winners of the weekend? Anything we're likely to be getting to the table regularly for the next few months?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like When I Dream for groups of about 6 or so as it is far more energetic and interactive than dixit and far simpler than Mysterium, though they both still have their own USPs. Oddly the games that I think might go down best are the ones we didn't get. AVP seems like a great game for three players to allow you to knock out a quick fun three player experience with bags of theme, Firefly could be a real winner when it is released (and will almost certainly replace my other Firefly game) and Frutti de Mare was just spot on for new and experienced gamers. Of the games bought all will see play, it is just odd how the more I become immersed in the board gaming world the more selective I become, or maybe I just have filled so many of the genre slots that I already have games that I know and love. That said it is pretty hard to purchase games that are all sold out in the first day. I would love to get more games with custom illustrations in the boxes but a lot of the games didn't jump out at me (Arena of the Gods is a good example).

    ReplyDelete